The a2 Milk Company were facing a number of challenges around sustainable packaging, affecting their overall performance, including:
Missing Roadmap: Created challenged to deliver on committed APCO targets.
Data Availability: Hindered actionable insights to drive packaging optimization across various systems.
Pocket of Excellence: High supplier reliance and limited inhouse packaging expertise.
Cross-over of Packaging Roles: Combined with mixed responsibilities across the organization for packaging development.
Undefined Sustainability KPIs: Sustainable packaging KPIs are not clearly defined with limited reporting.
To address the various challenges a2 were facing, TMX conducted a two-phase approach in delivering them a feasible roadmap:
- Phase 1 A: Comprehensive diagnostic of packaging data (specification, volume, cost) defined current state situation.
- Phase 1 B: Assessment of stakeholder feedback, supplier, and packaging development identified that process changes were required. Determination of packaging expertise & resourcing to support packaging development.
- Phase 2: Gap Analysis to (1) benchmark and (2) prioritize short-/long-term initiative hopper.
TMX consultants have completed an excellent piece of work for a2MC on our long-term sustainable packaging roadmap. I can highly recommend them for their quality of work and professionalism and ability to bring a lot of life to the project – even on some of the technical and data heavy tasks.
TMX were able to deliver on a number of a significant outcomes for a2 Milk, including:
- A 3-year roadmap with 25 significant tangible initiatives (>50 initiative hopper).
- Packaging database for dynamic benchmarking and actionable insights.
- Clear pathway to deliver on APCO targets.
- Consultants integrated successfully with the team with ongoing coaching and mentoring to support implementation process.
- The recruitment of a new external sustainability reporting expert to maintain database, supported by in-depth training & ongoing mentoring (global round table).